Initially, this project started as a port of LambdaMOO to Java. Of course, I didn't even get halfway through the first design without realizing a million things that were either A.) annoying design choices in LambdaMOO, or B.) practically impossible to implement in Java. I got pretty far, too, before I realized this (in fact, I still have the original version of InnerSpace written in Java using mucho RMI <shudder>). I realized that there were a number of things that I wanted to implement that other MUD/MOO/M* packages just didn't. BTW, I'm going to use the phrase MUD from here on, even though it's an oversimplification.